This soup although simple is very flavorful. Adding the herbs turns this soup into a wonderful french style affair. Serve with sour dough bread. Omit the sausage if you want this to be a phase 1 meal (South Beach Diet)
Makes about 4, one cup servings
1. In a large saucepan heat over high heat:
• 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion chopped
• 1 celery stalk chopped
• 2 two garlic cloves, peeled and minced
• 1/2 tsp dried basil (or fresh, minced and doubled at least)
• 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (or fresh, minced and doubled at least)
• 1/4 tsp dried thyme (or fresh, minced and tripled at least)
• 1/4 tsp salt (omit if adding ground sausage)
3. Reduce heat to medium/low and cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
4. (Optional)While vegetables are cooking, use frying pan to cook:
• 1 package of either breakfast ground pork sausage or italian ground pork sausage.
5. When veggies are ready add to the saucepan:
• 2 cans (15oz) of rinsed and drained cannelloni or great northern beans.
• 1 1/2 cups lower sodium chicken or beef broth.
6. Transfer about 1/3 of the bean mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into the sauce pan.
7. Add sausage to the soup. Stir and allow the mixture to heat until simmering. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, and with a dollop of sour cream.