Friday, May 9, 2014

New Beginnings: Girl on Fire

Although the idea of "Girl on Fire" for a New Beginning theme isn't original I think the young women pulled it off brilliantly. One of our Laurels found the idea and did all the research for refreshment and decorating ideas. The rest of the work was delegated between the girls and leaders.
I put the invitations together using the official movie poster fonts.
The girls created fireball poofs to hang from the ceiling.

And a welcome poster….

Our Beehive advisor created the dessert table and created labels for all the food using the font from the books. I was so excited to see she'd done that!
Keeping with the color over black theme, each girl painted a value onto black poster board and explained how the value keeps her spiritual flame burning.
We used all the appropriate labels for things such as:

Values = Districts
Girls Explaining the Values = Tributes
One of our girls received her Young Woman in Excellence that night = Victor

And the songs: The Spirit of God...like a fire is burning... and The Lord is My Light.

Of course there were speakers, a skit, and some teaching involved so everyone got to do something.

The skit was made up by the girls and was hilarious. The prompt was "Show us what Personal Progress is and how it works." So their skit included introducing PP to a classmate, carrying out a service project with her—raking leaves—and then going to a leader (played by a girl of course) to get it checked off in their books. We let the girls practice the skit a week beforehand—I'm glad because we got a lot of blank faces at first LOL.

It was a great evening…the Stake YW Leaders were there and couldn't stop their praising.  I LOVE that it was all headed up and started with one of the young women. I enjoy seeing what they want to do and the pleasure (and pride) on their faces when it all turns out.

I'm sorry, I do not have a template of the invitation to share at this time. (I think I deleted it by accident ugh.) But here's a .png torch file. Click on it to open it full size, then right click to download it. Note, this is the official logo for the Young Women organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It has been modified to fit this theme.

10 comments:

  1. Do you have the torch image available?
    I would love to use it for our upcoming YW in Excellence (Nov 2014)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO you have the torch image available?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! I will see about putting it on the blog at the end of the post this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a template for the Invitations? They are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Is there a template for the awesome invites? Our girls chose this theme for YWIE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! and we are going to use it for our 2016 New Beginnings-- do you happen to have a copy of the Skit you used that you can send me? amberinsera@yahoo.com TYIA~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a template for the invitations available? Also, I would be interested in the skit if it is possible to share with me. It looks like it was a wonderful night. I would appreciate any information you would be willing to send me. Thanks! mommamort@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone! I've added a description of the skit in the blog post near the end (3rd to last paragraph).
    Also, please note I do not have a template of the invitation at this time, but have provided a fiery torch logo for your invitation making pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know what they used for the Capital Punch?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, do you have the file for the labels for the food?

    ReplyDelete